Are you wondering where thirty bees is going to go from here? Hey, so are we! We have been putting the pen to paper lately and coming up with a long term plan for the thirty bees software. As a merchant or developer it is rather precarious to depend on software, but have no idea of what the actual plans are. We here have been in that situation before and we have decided that we are not going to treat our community that way. We want to be upfront and transparent about the future as much as possible. So lets get started!
thirty bees 1.0.x
We are freezing the features for 1.0.x. Unless there is a small feature that is of great need to the community we are going to freeze the core of the software. This does not mean that we are freezing the modules or the community theme. The modules especially might get new features. The community theme, it depends. What it depends on are the trends of the internet. We won’t let the front end of the software stagnate just because of a feature freeze. WE will still keep up with the latest trends and keep the theme current with the standards of the internet and SEO.
Version 1.0.x will be officially supported with updates and bug fixes until Aug 1, 2019
thirty bees 1.1.x
We are starting to plan for 1.1.x this month. Remember the feature request area? We have not forgotten about it. This month we are going to start going through the feature requests and organizing them into what can be integrated into the 1.1.x core. Some of the requests are better served for modules, while other need to be put in the core. We are going to do a sort first to accept / decline features. Then after that sort we will do another sort for core or module. As much as we would like to include every feature, its just not something that is feasible, especially for the features with very limited use cases. If you haven’t been to our feature request area lately now would be the perfect time to go and vote on some features. This month we are going to figure out the best way to represent a development path for 1.1.x and share it with the community. A document where everyone can see the changes that are going to be made and what will be included.
Some of the features we are going to include are not on the feature request list. They are internal features that we as a company want to add for moving the software forward. We have some pretty exciting ones too. (This list is not set in stone, these are subject to change)
- Creating a recurring payment system and billing system. This will allow users to subscribe to products and to be automatically charged for the products.
- A cleaner, less cluttered back office. It will feature a cleaner easier to manage theme with different views for different tasks.
- Condensing of modules. Is there really a need for 22 stats modules to clutter the modules list? More likely we need one stats module with 22 options in it for the stats. The same goes with a lot of modules, we are going to redo them to be more flexible and easier on the eyes.
- A better ASM. We are going to start adding new features to ASM that will be great for businesses with multiple locations. Things like giving the ability to filter and search by location on the front end of the shop.
- Cleaner, faster code. That is a given, right?
- A better, more streamlined EU setup. We are going to try to integrate the EU checkout options into the core. At the same time we are going to modify the installer to inject the settings during installation as well.
These are just a few of the internal features we have discussed. The list will likely grow to a very long list when we start going through the feature request section of our site.
If you have any questions or comments about the future or features, feel free to ask them below.